Sunday, Jimmy and I went to the birthing class and learned about the second and third stages of labor. They had a guest speaker as well come in and tell her birth story. She had a home birth. Yikes. We also got to watch another birthing video. I swear if I see another hairy head pushing its way out of a tiny hole, I'm gonna scream. lol. I get it already!
After class, Jimmy left to go play some golf and I went to Target. I returned two sets of sea toys and a pack of washcloths, then picked up a crib mattress, changing pad, mattress cover, bottle liners and a safety & grooming kit. Riley should be all set for now. Now I have to figure out where to PUT everything so it looks like a nice clean, functional nursery. It STILL looks like storage.
Sunday evening, Jimmy and I went to Mease Countryside hospital for the hospital tour of the Labor & Delivery section. Basically, once you get to the hospital, they send you to triage where they spend about 45 minutes checking you out. If you are in labor and they decide to admit you, you go to a private room in Labor & Delivery. There is a pull out couch for father-to-be, table and chairs, kitchenette and bathroom. There is an area for baby to be checked out right beside mommy's bed as well. They have a squatting bar they can attach to the bed. They don't immediately hook you up to an iv. They just insert a port into the back of your hand in preparation for if you need fluids at any time. Because of the H1N1 virus, they are not allowing any children under the age of 14 to visit at all, either during or after. Once you deliver, the baby stays with you 24/7 unless she is sent to the NICU. Other than that, everything is pretty much decided between you and your doctor. A couple hours after delivery, we are moved to a post partum room that looks exactly like the labor room - it's just at the opposite end of the hall. If you give birth vaginally, they keep you in the hospital for 2 days. If you have a cesarean , you are kept for 3 - 4 days. All in all, not bad. I really like the fact that it's only a couple of miles from the house and literally, right across the street from my OB. Now..... we wait. Only about 9 weeks left to go. Man, time is flying.
No comments:
Post a Comment