Thursday, September 13, 2012

Crime and Punishment...

So, Tuesday, Riley was a very bad girl at daycare. Her teacher gave her a frowny face because she was hitting other kids and then laughing after she did it. Jimmy picked the girls up from daycare and made SURE Riley new she was in trouble for being so bad at daycare. She didn't get to watch her favorite cartoons with dinner and she didn't get to play outside with neighbors. She had to watch out the window as everyone had fun without her. THEN, she made the mistake of hitting her sister and spent about 10 minutes of timeout in her room by herself crying after being seriously reprimanded by daddy. When I picked her up from daycare on Wednesday, her first words to me were "I got a happy face mommy! I wasn't bad today!" and she proudly showed me the happy face on her behavioral report.

Unfortunately, the "good girl" disappeared when we got on the road. About 10 mins after leaving daycare, Riley informed me that she needed to go potty. I pulled into a small gas station to let her take care of business and as soon as we got out of the car and I went to get Harper out, Riley said "No mommy. No Harper!" I had to explain that we couldn't leave poor Harper in the car by herself. I managed to get us all inside when Riley spotted a bag of freeze dried banana chips and shouted "I want these Mommy! I want these!" I had to explain that we were there to go potty and pull her away from all the goodies before I managed to get her into the bathroom. As we were leaving, she spotted the banana chips and I narrowly managed to distract her before she demanded them again, but then she spotted a packet of vitamins (that looked like candy) and wouldn't be deterred from having them. She grabbed them and when I said "Please put those back, we need to go home." She shouted "No!" and ran to the back of the store. I said "Okay then. I'll see you later. Bye!" and started to walk away. She immediately started crying and running back to me. I told her to put the packet back and she just stood there holding it and crying. I finally took it from her and put it back myself which started a screaming fit. I grabbed her hand and started to walk her to the door when she just let her legs collapse and I was left dangling her off the floor by her hand. I HATE when she does that cause I'm afraid I'll dislocate her elbow, which I've heard is scarily easy to do. A nice man was holding open the door for us during all of this and I managed to get us out of the door, with BOTH girls crying by this time and Riley still refusing to stand up. Once we were outside, I let go of Riley and let her sit on the pavement and cry while I got Harper into the car. I finally got Riley in as well when she started asking for her paci.... which we accidentally left behind at daycare. Oy vay. Talk about a simple matter of a potty break gone crazy. On a side note... the cashier was laughing sympathetically and the two customers inside just pretty much ignored us. I don't even care what was probably going through their heads. I was just glad to get back in the car in one piece. hahaha

The last thing Riley told me before I gave her a kiss goodnight after putting her in bed was, "I got a happy face mommy!" I can't help it, I really love that little scamp.

By the way, she got a happy face today too with a note from the teacher that said "A Great Day!"

3 comments:

  1. We are going through that now with Liam. Well, the major in-store tantrums and being naughty. He's a friggin fast runner, too! Ugh.

    He also used to be a hitter (big time), but luckily he grew out of that phase. It was a dark on horrible time for us all. I hope she continues to get more happy faces!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there - Ava is going through a naughty phase right now, also, and I am OVER. IT. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete