Our daughter has become a biter! Early last week, Riley bit two kids over a period of about 2 hours. Her substitute teacher mentioned several times over the remainder of the week that she's had to watch Riley closely cause she's tried to bite several more times. Yesterday, when I picked her up from daycare, her regular teacher mentioned she caught Riley trying to bite others again, but stopped her in time. What do I do?? She doesn't really ever bite us. It's more like she's just playing at biting, like when we play at biting her feet or neck to make her laugh. I'm not sure how it is at daycare, but last week they said it happened if another kid took her toy or something along those lines. ::sigh:: Now what do I do? How do you make that stop? As it is right now, I pull back and firmly tell her not to bite, it's not nice and I put her down on the floor or redirect her attention to something else. Another thing I don't know how to stop is she is starting to really hit and kick us and the animals. We use the same tactics with the biting as we have with the hitting/kicking, but none of it really works. She doesn't do any of this in anger either though. It's more like she's just playing rough and doesn't understand that it hurts others. Anyone have any experience with this and can offer some constructive advice?
On a happier note, she said "nite nite" to Daddy on Sunday when we were trying to get her to go to sleep and kept repeating it's nite-nite time. She would say, "Mama.... dada.... nigh nigh" in the cutest little singsong voice. Love it!!!
She also said "Kitty" for the first time last night. Of course, she was looking at our dog when she said it which made me laugh. I pointed to the cat and said that's the kitty, Riley. She looked over at the cat with a huge grin and said "Kit-ty". Awwwwww.
Awww! That's so cute!
ReplyDeleteThe biting, on the other hand...we've had that problem once lately, and I'm worried as well. I thought she was doing it lovingly like a little nibble to test the waters, but then she bit down a bit harder until I flinched. I'm still brainstorming how to deal with it if it happens again. My best advice is to just be super consistent.