Thursday, August 5, 2010

I'm just plain exhausted

Yes, I am mentally and physically exhausted. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over two weeks - every since Riley got so sick. I thought her sleepless nights were due to teething, but I finally gave in and took her to After Hour Pediatrics last night and it turns out she now has Tonsilitis/Pharyngitis and again, I can give her nothing to help other than Tylenol and/or Motrin. It is SO frustrating! My poor little girl is just being bombarded with illnesses this last month and there's nothing I can do! Luckily, her lungs are completely clear and her ears are completely infection free. Yay! She's a trooper and is just as active as she's always been and still loves to smile and play at daycare.

Last night, I was going to try the "cry it out" method to see if I could get her to sleep in her crib through the night instead of creating a habit out of coming to mommy's bed whenever she wakes up crying. Of course, after taking her to the pediatrician and finding out that her throat was red and coated in sores, I wasn't so sure that was a good idea anymore. Anyway, she went to bed around 9:30pm after one last bottle and a dose of Motrin. She woke up at 1:30am crying. I decided to try something else for now and made her a bottle and a dose of Tylenol. She drank the whole bottle and took her Tylenol and then fell back to sleep in my arms. I put her in the crib, and of course, she woke up again, but I was actually able to rub her back and soothe her back to sleep. Amazing! So, I went back to bed and a couple of minutes later, I hear the smoke alarm in the hallway start to beep - every 30 frickin seconds! Low effing battery! Are you kidding me??!! It's 2:00 am and NOW it decides to notify me it has a low frickin battery??!! Needless to say, I did NOT want it waking Riley up again, so I got out of bed, grabbed a chair to stand on and unplugged the darn thing. I then, promptly, stuffed it under the couch cushions so it would mute that annoying beep. In my defense, I did look all over the kitchen, in all the drawers and cabinets to see if I had an extra 9 volt battery first, but didn't have one anywhere. I felt like Phoebe from Friends when she smashed her alarm and it STILL kept beeping. hahaha. Luckily, the couch cushion muffled the noise enough that I was able to go back to sleep and it didn't wake Riley. I plan to get a battery on my way home from work today so the house is fire safe again. Riley did wake a couple more times through the night, but it was more like she woke, cried out and then went right back to sleep. I woke up with her every time, but I didn't have to go to her room again the rest of the night. And she woke up this morning right on time to get ready to go to daycare, smiling and happy. At least, one of us is feeling better. I just feel like crap. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment