Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Twas Four Nights Before Christmas... 2009

Twas four nights before Christmas, and daddy heard me say
It's time to go honey, our little girl's on her way
He helped me to the car and drove away with care,
Knowing our little girl would soon be here.

I got nice and settled in the hospital bed, 
counting all the contractions and kicks in my head
While daddy stood close holding my hand
Wondering what's next and where he should stand

When out in the hall we heard a loud clatter
And a nurse bustled in saying "Nothing's the matter
I just came by to check and see how you are
Has your water broken yet? You're dilated how far?"

She said we'd give it an hour and then we'd see
If I hadn't progressed, it was back home for me
I walked around a while and what happened to appear?
My water just broke, Riley's almost here!

With a wonderful nurse, so lively and sweet
I got myself prepared for our little one to meet
More rapid contractions began to come
Daddy tried to help, but it's seemed nothing could be done

"It hurts! It hurts! Rub my back! Now the shower!"
I crawled and walked and pleaded for hours.
Finally, giving in, I rang for the nurse
"Give me an epidural before it gets worse!"

Blessed relief came soon after and then
Daddy went to sleep and I just waited again
The nurse came in around 10 in the morning
And with a sad smile, she gave us a warning

If the baby didn't start to progress very soon
A c-section would be on the agenda for noon
Within the hour I began to feel some pain
And soon groans and moans could not be contained

I'd dilated to nine, it was time to go!
The nurse called the doctor to start the show
The pressure was intense but the doctor said wait
I had to push her a little while he went and ate.

10 minutes later the nurse called the doc
But he finished his lunch before punching the clock
By the time he got there, I was shouting "Now!"
He said "Go ahead then" and then he said, "Wow!"

Riley arrived immediately after
Amidst the cheers and the cries and the doctor's laughter
He couldn't believe I'd pushed her out so fast
Next time, he said, he'd eat his lunch last.

Riley snuggled up tight to me on my chest
And then turned her head and latched onto my breast
We were now a whole family, one two and three
What a very merry Christmas this turned out to be.


3 comments:

  1. Jennifer - That is gorgeous! It made me smile and get a little teary. What a blessing to receive for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome... Happy birthday and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this, and have been meaning to comment forever! Riley is such a lucky girl to have such a talented mommy :)

    Great pic, too, BTW!

    ReplyDelete