Thursday, May 19, 2011

Poor Riley

For the last few weeks, Riley has been having loose stools. TMI I know, but bear with me. These loose stools have been causing quite a bit of diaper rash. I took her to After Hours a couple of weeks ago and they said to just keep an eye on it and try a different diaper cream. So we did. It didn't work. We switched to powder only and that seemed to help. Monday though, the loose stools got more frequent and by Tuesday morning her tushie was red again. By the time I picked her up from daycare, they mentioned her tushie was pretty bad. I got home and checked her and bad didn't begin to describe it. She had two blisters that had popped and her skin was peeling away!!! I took her back to daycare Wednesday morning and requested they check her every hour to make sure it didn't get any worse. Apparently that didn't work. She had loose stools in almost every diaper change and by the time I picked her up, they said her tushie had started bleeding. I immediately called the pediatrician (it was 5:02pm and they close at 5:00) and someone actually answered the phone. I begged to speak to a nurse and they said they had all left but they would try to get someone from the other office to call me. Apparently I missed the call thirty minutes later and the nurse left a message stating that she'd called in a prescription for a cream for Riley. Jimmy ran to the store and picked it up and the rash seemed to have improved a little this morning. Unfortunately, we still have the loose stool problem to deal with and I'm at my wits end. We've tried feeding her oatmeal, bananas, yogurt and so forth but nothing seems to help. I called the pediatrician this morning when their office opened and explained the situation to the nurse in more detail and they said for it to have gone on this long is not normal. They suggested I bring Riley AND one of her poopie diapers in today to get checked out. They are going to send her stool to the lab to make sure there is nothing wrong internally and hopefully give us some other suggestions on improving her diet. Her appointment is at 4:30 so think good thoughts for us.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, poor darling! Hoping she's better by now and keeping you guys in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete