So, the birthday weekend was made up of a series of ups and downs. Saturday morning, I was eager to go on a bike ride with friends only to discover my husband had to be at work at 11 am. The bike ride was supposed to start at 9:30am and the trail was about 20 minutes away from the house. The ride was supposed to last anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours, so that wasn't going to work out. No worries. I still had my bike ride plans for Sunday. I could forego the Saturday ride and play with Riley all morning. :-)
After Riley woke from her nap, we had lunch and then decided to go to the splash park and have some fun playing in the water. Riley, as usual, found a couple of pieces of trash that just HAD to be picked up and she just HAD to give them to the lady sitting next to us and not to mommy. This worked out though, because while Riley played in the water, the lady next to me struck up a conversation about pregnancies and kids and so forth. A nice way to pass the time. Her kids even gave Riley a plastic cup to play with and fill with water. This was cute because she would take the cup and do her best to fill it up (usually only got it about a 1/4 full before it slipped out of her hands). The few times she managed to keep hold of it as the water from the fountains poured in, she'd run back to me, grin really big and then dump it on her head. So funny! The lady next to me invited us to a birthday party they were having this coming weekend at the splash park if we were in the area. How sweet.
We only stayed at the park for about an hour because Omie was on her way. Omie got to the house literally 5 minutes after we did and Riley was ecstatic. Daddy got home from work about 20 minutes later and we all went to Walmart to pick out my birthday bike. Yay! After the shopping trip, we relaxed for a couple of hours and even tried on Riley's new Halloween costume... isn't it adorable?? It's a ladybug. Yeah, Riley wasn't really enthused by the outfit, but I swear it looked SO CUTE on her. :-)
We then went out to dinner at Ruby Tuesdays. Yummy. This was followed by a trip to the Red Box to pick up a DVD rental for $1. We rented Priest. Not a bad movie at all. Riley went to bed as soon as it got dark.
Unfortunately, she had a pretty rough night. She tossed and turned and cried out and coughed.... a lot. By 2 am, I couldn't stand it anymore and went to check on her. I picked her up and took her to the kitchen where I gave her a dose of Ibuprofen because she was rather warm and then we went back to mommy & daddy's bed and spent the rest of the night all snuggled together. Riley woke at 7 am on the nose and was coughing a little still and still a little warm as well. I got up and made her some breakfast. And gave her a little more Ibuprofen.
Omie left around 9 am and so did I. Bike ride time! But.... that didn't work out either. My friend texted me that she had a gnarly headache and couldn't make it. I decided to go ahead and ride anyway. Once I got to the trail, I pulled out my brand new bike and tried to adjust the seat because it was down too low. 15 minutes later, my seat still wasn't adjusted and apparently the tightening mechanism was now stripped. WTF??!!! I was almost in tears at this point (damn pregnancy hormones) and gave up and went back home. Jimmy took a look at it and confirmed that there was no fixing it, so we loaded up the car and went back to Walmart and replaced the bike. Nice!
Jimmy then left to play a round of golf with some of his friends and Riley and I crashed on the couch for the mid-day nap. Her cough by this time was more pronounced as she slept. It had become a "barking" cough. I cringed at this. Once she woke up, we had lunch and it was off to the doctor's office to get checked out. Sure enough, Riley has Croup again. :-( The doc prescribed some oral steroids to get her through and that's pretty much all that could be done. She has to take them for three days.
Around 6 pm, we all left to go to a friend's house for dinner and had a FANTASTIC time, great food and great company. We got home around 8:30 pm and crashed for the night. We set up the humidifier to help Riley sleep a little easier and, combined with a dose of Tylenol and the oral steroids, she slept through the night without a peep.
Now it's Monday... and here's to another work week. :-) Cheers!

No comments:
Post a Comment