Yesterday, I have to say, I had a moment when I was truly proud of Riley and just wanted to give her a great big hug and let her know what a sweetheart she is.
I went to pick her up from daycare and when I got to her room, she jumped out of her teacher's lap with a big smile as soon as she saw me. Of course, she then ran for the closest door and slammed into it with her hands. (This is the normal routine when daddy or I walks in... still haven't figured out why.)
Anywho, I was signing her out and she noticed I had her day's artwork in my hand (a finger painted Barney) and immediately wanted it. I let her have it and within a second or two, she'd accidently torn Barney's hand off. Behind me, I hear "Oh no! Narney!" I turned in time to see her teacher tell her it was broken, but that she'd fix it right up for her. Riley happily handed over the broken/torn Barney and actually waited patiently while the teacher taped it up for her. As soon as the teacher handed it back she waved and said "Bye!" and started walking towards the door which made us both laugh.
I was right behind her when Riley suddenly turned around with a gasp. She'd heard the teacher picking up one of the toys (a lawnmower type toy with balls that bounce inside it). There were two more out in the room and Riley ran over to one and dragged it over to the teacher to help clean up. As soon as the teacher took it from her, Riley ran over to the last one out, grabbed it and brought it helpfully to the teacher too. What a little helper!!! The teacher said "thank you!" and Riley happily said "Bye bye!" one more time.
As we walked down the hall and by each class room, she loudly said "Bye!" in a sing song voice and waved at the doors. The last door we came to was open and she peeked in to say good-bye but no one was there. I told her the room was empty and we needed to go. Riley reached up for the door handle and shut the door herself, nodded her head and walked/ran to the exit. I LOVE her personality and her eagerness to help out. I hope she never loses that.
Now, in honor of the upcoming Halloween holiday and in remembrance of all the fun we had last year with friends at the pumpkin patches, I'll leave you with another picture perfect moment...

She sounds like such a sweet girl! It's good to encourage these things while they're young and hopefully it'll carry through into the teen years. Then we won't have to hassle with them to clean their rooms. :)
ReplyDelete