On my way to work today, I started thinking about everything life has thrown at me in the last year and a half and I realized just how blessed we really are. Despite the rollercoaster ride I seem to have been on lately, things are really, really great. Our daughter is happy and healthy and so are we. We have a wonderful family that loves us and many, many friends that support us. Thank you to all. I also started thinking about our daughter and all the days ahead and how fast time seems to have already flown by. When I got to work, I sat down and wrote this poem. I just thought I'd share it with all of you.
As I wake up in the morning, I prepare to face the day
I think about the work ahead and the bills I've got to pay
As I go through the chore of dressing and picking toys up off the floor
I think of what I have to do before I walk out of the door
As the coffee starts to brew and my mind starts to whirl
I walk into her bedroom and look at my little girl
Sleeping peacefully in her crib, innocent and sweet
She fills my heart with love with every single beat
As I wake her to the world and hear her little cries
As she stretches out her arms to me, tears fill my eyes
And I know that it's all worth it
Every single thing
It's all so very worth it
For this little human being
As I drop her off at daycare with her bottles and her bibs
I smile to see her teacher and the three other cribs
I know that she'll be safe and taken care of with joy
I know she has friends, two other girls and a boy
I know she'll be happy until I return
But it doesn't stop the ache when my heart starts to burn
As I lean down to kiss her and hear her say Bye-bye
In her sweet little cherub voice, tears fill my eyes
And I know that it's all worth it
Every single thing
It's all so very worth it
For this little human being
As I drive away to work, I think of the day
When she's no longer little and has her own to say
I think of when she'll hate me, cause I grounded her again
I think of the boys that might break her heart and then
I think of the day when she takes off on her own
And it scares me to death to think of what she'll be shown
Of the lessons that she'll learn and the pain she may know
And the work that she'll do and where in life she'll go.
And I hope I'll have given her the strength to stand her ground
The confidence and morals to cherish what she's found
And I know there will come a day when we have to say good-bye
It breaks my heart to think about and tears fill my eyes
But I know that it's all worth it
Every single thing
It's all so very worth it
For this precious human being
That was so beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sweet comment on my post the other day - man, I wish I lived close to you so I could watch Riley and let you have some time off! You poor thing! Hang in there, mama! You're doing great :)